Wednesday, June 1, 2011

“So, what do you do?”

How many times have we been asked this question at a social event?
How do I describe my life? I don’t design anything.  I don’t create anything. I’m not an artist, or a musician, or a designer, or a writer. I don’t get up every day and go to an office and work in the traditional sense of what society views as “working.”
“I sell vintage items online. Mainly vintage costume jewelry.”
Oh. I see. You really don’t work, then. You don’t have a J.O.B.
You just stay home and play.
It might appear like that from the outside, but what goes on in reality is far from “play”. Don’t get me wrong … I love what I do. It is wonderful to get up in the morning looking forward to the day and all that it holds. I get to work with beautiful things. I get to go shopping! I read, I research.  I have a kit to test metals. Cleaners of all types. I have an arsenal of tools, and a few tricks up my sleeve. I’ve had to learn about photography, styling, and presentation. I’ve had to polish my writing skills. My work basket includes 3 different magnifying devices, a tape measure, a blacklight pen, a jewelry polishing cloth, post it notes, tiny little screwdrivers and tweezers. Then there’s all the computer skills – some basic html, photo editing, layout and design work. My bookshelves are loaded with reference books. I’ve learned all the ins and outs of shipping, and have become friends with the folks at our local post office.
There’s no fixed schedule, no boss to answer to, no water cooler to gather around with my co-workers.
There are pitfalls, as there are with any job. I’m too close to the laundry room and can always notice that there’s a load of towels that need washing. Friends who know I work from home call to ask if I can help with a sick child, it’s an emergency! The dogs need to visit the outdoors. And “The Nate Berkus Show” just came on! It’s 2 p.m. and I still have on my jammies.  A phone call and my schedule changes for the day … “I’ve got my Grandma’s costume jewelry and I need to get rid of it – are you interested?”
So I continue living my Charmed Life, waking up every day counting my blessings and grateful for the opportunity I’ve been given. I’ve built a solid network for online friends – folks who have their own online business. We support each other, help out with research, and are there just to cheer each other on some days. Of course, I’m doing it on my comfy couch wearing my favorite jammies!!

No comments:

Post a Comment